[CentOS] tftp times out

Mark Snyder mark at jmktdis.com
Fri Dec 29 17:08:57 UTC 2006

mike.redan at bell.ca wrote:
>> It kinda sounds like a general network problem to me...if you run:
>>   ifconfig -a
> ifconfig -a shows errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 for both RX & TX
> packets
>
>> Do you see many errors? If you do..run this:
>>   mii-tool
>
> mii-tool shows "eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
>
>> What is the duplex setting? Does it match what is on the other side
>> (switch, or system if it is a cross-over cable) What is the link
>> between the two systems? 100Mbit LAN, or are you going over a router
>> or something?
>
> I am not sure about the duplex setting ifconfig -a is not reporting it
> so I have assumed it
> to be auto. It is a straight LAN connection not going through any
> routers with only a switch
> between the boxes.
>

> The mii-tool output will show you the duplex setting ("negotiated
> 100baseTx-FD" from above tells you that it is set to auto, and it has
> decided on 100Mbit-Full Duplex).
>
> Are you seeing it timeout right away, or are there some bytes
> transferred, then times out?

I am not seeing any bytes transferred.  The time out is after the default 25 sec.

> I take it that you have checked for errors/duplex problems on both
> machines (as well as selinux/iptables)? What about tcpwrappers?
> /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny are blank?

Other than ifconfig how can I check for errors/duplex problems?  I am not seeing any errors
on other services running on either box but am willing to dig further.

Neither box has selinux or iptables enabled. tcpwrappers is utilized for tftp but both
hosts.allow & hosts.deny are empty.  When I look a /var/log/secure it shows START: tftp
pid=8144 from=192.168.242.3, which is as expected.

I am going to increase the logging level for tftpd and see what I get.

I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions from this mailing list, thanks to everyone.

Mark