Fwd: [CentOS] Fwd: How to add a route to a network via 2 gateways.

Indunil Jayasooriya indunil75 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 05:19:14 UTC 2006

HI Peter,

Interesting in deed. You say that  You can add a second route and weight it
as follows:

ip route add equalize 192.168.2.0/24 scope global nexthop via
192.168.0.254 dev eth0 weight 1 nexthop via 192.168.0.250 dev eth0 weight 1

I want to know whether I can use the above command , when the below command
exists .

ip route add 192.168.2.0/24 via 192.168.0.254

Then I want to know about your second answer which is "To achieve the goal
of primary path only, you can heavily weight one path over the other, some
traffic will still spill into the other, you
can remove the equalize parameter to disable this behaviour "

herein,  what is this "you can heavily weight one path over the other"

When weight 1 and weight 1 , Both paths are equal. If I use weight 1 and
weight 100 , what would be the primary path ? Is it weight 1 ?

Is it the lower number which becomes primary ?

Then , in my case, is the following coomad is right?

ip route add  192.168.2.0/24 scope global nexthop via
192.168.0.254 dev eth0 weight 1 nexthop via 192.168.0.250 dev eth0 weight
100

I guess with the above command that traffc will flow via primary, when it
fails , traffic will flow via secondary.

That is what I need.

 Am I right ? Then can I acheive this goal ?

Thanks
Indunil