[CentOS] Assuming write caching from CentOS 4.4 to iSCSI device

Sat Dec 2 05:10:19 UTC 2006
Brian <spatuality at yahoo.ca>

Hi list,

CentOS 4.4 connecting to Promise M500i iSCSI disk array. 2/4 servers
connect fine with iscsi-initiator-utils-4.0.3.0-4. The other 2 servers
have this in dmesg:

SCSI device sdb: 1 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)
sdb: asking for cache data failed
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdb: 1 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)
sdb: asking for cache data failed
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdb:<6>Device sdb not ready.
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Device sdb not ready.
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Device sdb not ready.
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

The drive does not allow connections after this failed attempt at guessing the write cache type.

Is
there a way to hard-code the write cache setting on the server? Anyone
experience this with other hardware/iscsi/promise devices?

Brian