[CentOS] Ext2/3 fs and defragmentationn

Wed Dec 13 12:03:10 UTC 2006
Jordi Espasa Clofent <jordi.listas at multivia.com>

Hi all,

Fewer days ago a CentOS box server suffered a manual and unexpected
reset (too large to explain: there are silly people in everywhere).

The result was the system did not mount de root (/) partition and the
boot process was stopped. I repair it easily: boot from LiveCD (Knoppix
in my case), umount root partition and pass the e2fsck utility.

Because of that I've used several fs tools and my surprise was the
e2defrag utility. Until the present day I think the ext2/3 fs has not
defrag problem. But I've used defrag tools in root partition because it
was really fragmented.

¿What do you know about this kind of "trouble"?

I supose the fragmentation is ext2/3 fs is lesser problem than in Win fs
(FAT32, NTFS) but I'm not sure.
--
Jordi Espasa Clofent

PGP id 0xC5ABA76A #http://pgp.mit.edu/