[CentOS] How to install rkhunter properly

Sat Dec 2 19:23:00 UTC 2006
Michael Kress <kress at hal.saar.de>

On 12/2/2006 7:50 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> In general I had 2 problems:
>> * On my 64 bit machine, the __libdir was set to /usr/lib64 whereas
>> rkhunter uses an ugly "/usr/lib"
>>    (solved with moving the platform file temporarily)
>> * rkhunter -c showed me all the binaries in /bin /sbin/ and /usr/bin as
>> 'bad'.
>>    (solved with downloading and calling ./hashupd.sh)
>
> You can (should) use the pre-built rk-hunter package in
> KBS-Extras(http://centos.karan.org, or
> http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories). It's prebuilt for you, which
> solves have your issue. The other half is because rkhunter doesn't
> play well with prelink, which runs as a cron job and ensures that
> applications load as quickly as possible. There are workarounds for
> this, and I believe there's a patch to rkhunter which resolves it.

ok, the kbs-extras version solved the problem with __libdir (thanks for
the hint!), but I've still got the issue with 'Bad' with all the files
listed in /bin, /sbin and /usr/bin (and one in /usr/sbin). Here, hashupd
still was necessary.
Regards,
Michael

Michael Kress, kress at hal.saar.de