[CentOS] Installing CentOS over LAN

Sun Dec 3 05:08:22 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 21:02, Al Sparks wrote:
> I want to set up a server that will do network installs of CentOS,
> perhaps through NFS.
>
> Ideally, I'd put a CentOS in the CD of the target computer, I boot
> it off of that CD, and then the rest is done over my network and
> with the server.
>
> Has anyone done that and published it?  Where can I find docs?

If you download the iso images to an NFS exported directory
you can burn only the first CD and boot it with 'linux askmethod'
at the boot prompt, then select NFS as the install method and
fill in the server and path info. Once it starts the install
it will take care of all the loopback mounts for you so you
don't have to wait around and swap CDs.  You can automate even
more with a kickstart file, but answering those first few questions
doesn't take that long.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com