[CentOS] recompiling LVM or move to GFS for MySQL?

Fri Dec 15 07:08:38 UTC 2006
Jed Reynolds <lists at benrey.is-a-geek.net>

I'm planning some new mysql database servers and I've had problems with
LVM in the past with snapshots. I've had advice from someone from MySQL
AB to try out GFS because it's snapshotting is supposed not to be
broken. Looking at some of the GFS documentation on Redhat.com makes it
look like GFS might be or might not be a simple replacement if I'm just
mounting it locally, but I've never tried it out. On the other hand,
I've seen posts saying that if I do something like a rpm rebuild of LVM
and udev and somesuch LVM snapshotting should work.

I'd prefer to run a server configuration where I could do a scripted
server build without having to install GCC and rebuild RPM packages when
it came time to do a reinstall or create another replica server.

Is LVM snapshotting going to busted forever, and should I go for GFS
locally mounted?

Jed