[CentOS] How to connect to a Windows PC in LAN

Sun Dec 17 22:45:11 UTC 2006
MrKiwi <mrkiwi at gmail.com>

Ha Thai Duong wrote:
> Hi
> I am a new bee to Linux in general. Please accept my apologies if the
> question is not appropriate.
>
> I have a LAN with 2 computers: One is CentOS and one is Windows XP.
> I am trying to transfer file between 2 computers using LAN. Can you
> please tell me how to do it?
>
> I have tried Samba from the Applications menu.
> Add a directory in there. Set it to Read only and Allow access to
> everyone. I couldn't see the CentOS from Windows computer.
>
> I have tried the Network Servers. There is Windows Network there. When i
> click to see inside that, there is nothing.
>
> I tried to see the all the services are running. The winbind status is
> winbindd dead but subsys locked.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. I do appreciate that.

"service smb status" will tell you if the services (smbd,
nmbd) are running but ...

Maybe your firewall is active and blocking your requests;

 From a root prompt type
# service iptables status

If the response is "Firewall is stopped" then this is not
the problem - however if you get a list of the firewall
entries, then try
# service iptables status|egrep "445|137|138|139"
You should see 4 or so entries listed for the various
services related to samba sharing.

If you see none, you need to either ;
A.
stop the firewall (not recommended, but you may want to stop
it to confirm that the firewall is the issue) using
# service iptables stop
(restart it with # service iptables start)
B.
config the firewall to allow these ports (recommended solution)

try /usr/sbin/s

set Security Level to "Enabled",
Customize, under "Other ports" type "445:tcp 137:udp 138:udp
139:tcp"

This should allow all the samba services to ba accessed.

Regards,

MrKiwi