[CentOS] Centos 4.0 (Final) and Dell 1950 with SAS controller

Thu Dec 21 22:42:21 UTC 2006

Glenn MacGregor wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an "appliance" cd which uses CentOS 4.0 (Final) which I am trying to load on a new Dell 1950 server with a SAS driver controller. During the install it fails to find any disks to load to. I got the drivers from Dell and dd the correct one to a floppy, boot from the appliance cd and enter linux dd at the prompt. I load the driver in the install and it still fails to find any disks.

have you considered installing with something newer than 4.0 ? thats
almost 2 years old now, and has many known issues.

I'd recommend you install with 4.1, the DD will work fine there, you can
then yum update the machine, move the module over, depmod, mkinitrd,
reboot and you should be set.

If you plan on using the machine under production, I would highly
recommend you use  >= 2.6.9-42

- KB