[CentOS] Slightly OT: DNS -force client always use authoritative

Fri Dec 22 16:25:45 UTC 2006
Jeff Lasman <blists at nobaloney.net>

On Monday 18 December 2006 12:52 pm, Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:

> More such that the client can cache it, but not a 'server in
> between', *only* the authoritative box...  Hopefully that makes
> sense, i'm basically asking on behalf of our CTO and just mentioned
> your question...  The answer to which is yes, trying to not use
> cached lookups....  Trying to pick through the proposals and
> determine what it is they (ultradns and Savvis ITM features are
> relying on)...

So what you want to do is for _every_ lookup not already in your cache
you'd want to do separate non-recursive lookups at each nameserver (try
the "dig +trace example.com" command to see what I mean) instead of one
recursive lookup?

Sure if you can find or write a resolver that'll ask the nameservers the
right questions; it's got nothing to do with the DNS servers; they just
supply (or fail to supply) the record they're asked for.

You can ask the question on bind-users but be prepared to be flamed.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA  92408