[CentOS] Merry Christmas ! and a tiny question

Mon Dec 25 12:51:27 UTC 2006
Daniel de Kok <daniel-lists at taickim.com>

On Mon, December 25, 2006 11:43 am, Kari Salovaara wrote:
> How I should proceed when,
> - I want the latest stable version,
> - want to get some optional packages
> - want to be able to update these progs
> - I want to be able to upgrade this machine to new Centos 4.5 and Centos
> 5 in future

Did you find this wiki item?:
http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls

To wrap it up: it's a bad idea and unsupported. CentOS is a coherent and
stable system, manually adding or replacing stuff sacrifices that. Besides
that, why would you want to upgrade just because there is a newer version?
The Gimp in CentOS 4.4 works well and stable (for me).

If you want the latest rather than stable software, it may be better to
run Fedora.

With kind regards and a Merry Christmas,
Daniel de Kok