[CentOS] Yum uses too much resources

Mon Dec 25 12:59:38 UTC 2006
Daniel de Kok <daniel-lists at taickim.com>

On Mon, December 25, 2006 1:45 pm, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> ¿Is this behaviour "normal"? ¿What about this extensive hardware use
> from Yum?

Does this happen during the metadata parsing? If so, yes, it is quite
resource intensive, especially when you have some large repositories
enabled. There is a C metadata parser that is available from the yum site,
that is much faster and lighter. But it requires yum 2.6.2.

> I supose my laptop is an old-fashioned hardware but this behaviour did
> not happen when I installed Ubuntu (and I did use apt to manage sofware)
> in same machine in recent past.

APT is available from the Extras repository, and may be faster on old
hardware.

With kind regards,
Daniel de Kok