[CentOS] Merry Christmas ! and a tiny question

Mon Dec 25 19:38:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-25 at 16:30 +0200, Kari Salovaara wrote:
> Daniel de Kok wrote:
> > On Mon, December 25, 2006 11:43 am, Kari Salovaara wrote:
> >> How I should proceed when,
> >> - I want the latest stable version,
> >> - want to get some optional packages
> >> - want to be able to update these progs
> >> - I want to be able to upgrade this machine to new Centos 4.5 and Centos
> >> 5 in future
> >
> > Did you find this wiki item?:
> > http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls
>
> Yes I know, but that topic was actually not related into my question.
> Maybe I should have been formulated the question; does anybody know
> reporsitory which I can use to get latest version of Gimp ?

Kari ... that is the difference between CentOS and the "Latest /
Greatest" installs (like OpenSUSE, Fedora, etc.)

CentOS is Enterprise ...

Let's assume we upgraded to a new Gimp and it was not compatible in some
way with the older version.  It might break a process that someone is
relying on (the reason they installed centos in the first place).

Gimp 2.0.5 might still be the CentOS-4 version of GIMP in 2012 ...
seriously.

Most items do not move up, just get security updates .. that is what
enterprise linux is about.  Stability.

As Daniel suggested, distros like Fedora or OpenSUSE (that upgrade every
6 months) are good for cutting edge stuff.

When you upgrade Gimp ... you will need a new version of pango ... and
an upgraded gtk ... means newer gnome ... and soon, you do not have
CentOS any more.  Most of this stuff is all tied together.  That is just
how software builds.  You can't run IE7 on Windows 95 either :P

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes