[CentOS] Configuring 1440 x 900 LCD Monitor

Thu Dec 28 22:22:23 UTC 2006
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Quoting Pete <pchoppin at comcast.net>:

> Greetings
>
> I am attempting to configure my ViewSonic VX1935WM widescreen monitor.
> Unfortunately this model is not listed in the Display Settings.  I have
> attempted the generic 1440 x 900 LCD monitor listed.  This does not
> provide the required resolution. I have edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
> added my monitor, resolution, refresh rate, and screen size.  The
> problem is that even when I have added this to xorg.conf the new
> resolution does not show in Display Settings and I cannot change my
> display to the new resolution.

It's video card dependant.  X server doesn't support resolutions not
in VESA BIOS out of the box (at least for some video cards).  Wide
screen resolutions are usually not listed in VESA BIOS by default.
For Intel video cards, there's couple of programs you can try to
change one of the VESA BIOS modes to 1440x900 (you'll need to do this
on every boot, before X server starts).  For example 915resolution
(available from Dag's repository) should do it for Intel 800/900
chipsets.