[CentOS] Re: UPS support on CentOS 4.4

Fri Dec 29 15:29:24 UTC 2006
Edward Diener <eldiener at tropicsoft.com>

peter wrote:

>> You are right, but this software needs to be manually run for the end
>> user to find out what is happening.
>>
>> What I really want of course is for a visual window to popup whenever
>> there are A/C problems, and whenever the A/C has lost power and the UPS
>> battery is getting low.
>
>> It is part of apcupsd. I will look at it and see if I can get it going
>> in CentOS 4.4. Thanks for reminding me of it.
>

> I haven't bothered to play with apcupsd just because I don't need to worry
> about my power where my boxes live, but on the software note, I tend to
> find
> far more usefull to have linux software do something intelligent like
> send me
> an email when there's a problem so I can just forward that to my cell
> phone,
> and end up notified and able to react wherever I happen to be.

That is a nice feature to have.

> I don't even see popups on the screen of my workstation, much less anything
> I might need a UPS on. Why would I want windows software behavior under
> Linux?

I don't know what you mean by "windows software behavior" but if I am
working with the screen in front of me and the A/C power to my UPS goes
out or the system needs to shut down because the A/C power has been out
and the UPS battery is running out of power to support my continued
working, I like to experience some sort of notification when these
things are happening. Since I am staring at my screen, a visual
notification seems justified to me. If that seems unusual to you then I
can only surmise that you use your computer differently than I do.
Nonetheless, since it's each to their own, a visual notification is what
I would like to alert me to what is happening.