[CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel D965 motherboards

Tue Dec 5 19:39:51 UTC 2006
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

> If it's not too late, return the motherboard, get something else.
>
> My personal experience with Intel's desktop motherboards is that they
> work most of the time for most of the people.

thats been the exact opposite of my experiences with Intel branded
motherboards.   They've been consistently well engineered, and well
built, have very good aftermarket support (BIOS upgrades and drivers are
still available for nearly every board they've ever made, and they are
MUCH better documented than the typical taiwan stuff).    Intel has had
a few funky chipsets that NO motherboards could fix (anything that used
RDRAM, and worse, the chipsets that used RD->SDRAM bridges like the
i810), but otherwise I've found them very compatible.   I do try and
avoid the chipsets with onboard graphics.

I've never seen ANY documentation like
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/lt/D5601702US.pdf (for the
DP965LT, a current mainstream performance board I'd strongly consider
using for a Core 2 Duo desktop) from any taiwan board maker.   Note they
actually give power specifications for the board, thermal design
guidelines, etc.     Detailed errata in
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/lt/D6333603US.pdf  (ever seen
errata on a taiwan board?  muahaahahahaha, right!)

RHEL/CentOS 4 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and support for the
latest hardware is somewhat lagging, this can be an issue with any new
system.