[CentOS] recommends on CentOS + Via Epia CN10000EG

Wed Dec 6 10:36:13 UTC 2006
Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net>

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, security wrote:

> Jed Reynolds a écrit :
>> I'm considering building a network gateway using a Via EpiaCN10000EG
>> motherboard like seen here:
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/79/products_id/444
>>
>> I've heard that this is a pretty recent mobo and drivers for it are in
>> Ubuntu but that a 2.6.9.x CentOS kernel might have troubles with it.
>>
>> Anyone have any opinions on this mobo?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> jed
>>

> Take care of the cpu: some Via C3 are not real "i686" cpu: so your
> "embedded Centos" will not boot.
>
> VIA Nehemiah is a real i686 cpu (so, no problem): we use Gralinux AS 3
> (like Centos 3.8) without any problem, Centos 4 should works too.
> VIA Samuel 2 is a i586 (so you will have problems with it if your linux
> distro is not full "i386/i586"): impossible to install the OS in it (because
> of some i686 binaries in the Linux distro)

Except that CentOS (probably 'unlike' Gralinux ? ) provides i586 support
specifically for via processors, as a bonus for CentOS users that is not
provided upstream.

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.