[CentOS] [OT] Linux/CentOS Volunteer or PT Work

Wed Dec 6 11:47:07 UTC 2006
Daniel de Kok <daniel-lists at taickim.com>

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:12:31 -0800
"Nick Webb" <webbn at acm.org> wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:
> > Then again, with your eight years of experience, do you really think
> > that a professional certificate will make a difference? Any reasonable
> > manager who understands Unix/Linux should have no problem hiring you on
> > that basis.
>
> Thanks for your comments.  While I have 8 years of total IT
> experience, only 2 years was on Unix (part time undergrad job), no
> enterprise Linux experience.  I think you are right, though, if a
> manager understands Unix/Linux I should be able to convice them of my
> compentency without a peice of paper.

Actually, an increasing number of managers do not look at
certification. There are a lot of people who boast with their
certification, but have little experience. Being able to solve a
problem quickly in a competent manner is much more important than
learning facts by heart. We have references for that ;).

At any rate, getting back on-topic: maybe it would be nice to have a
job section somewhere (e.g. the Wiki?). At the NetBSD project we have a
job mailinglist, and it has proven to be a good way for people to get a
job related to their favorite project :^). And I am convinced that
there are a lot of companies out there that'd love to get experienced
CentOS administrators.

-- Daniel