[CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel D965 motherboards

Thu Dec 7 16:48:39 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

Drew Weaver wrote:
> 	We have roughly 1200 Intel motherboards in production at the
> moment.. From the server line SE7500/SE7501/S2000/S3000, the desktop
> line, 845GLC, 945GTP, various 865 and 915 boards, and I believe we have
> had one single failure out of all of them including DOA, run failures,
> etc.
>
> YMMV but we used to use asus/tyan boards and we had a much higher
> failure/DOA rate.
>
> Thanks,
> -Drew

I can't say that I've been through as many boards as Drew, but his
experience is similar to mine.  I've had very few outright failures of
Intel boards.  My only real complaint with Intel boards has been the
somewhat spartan feature set, but for servers that is usually not a
problem.  I've had a few bugs over the years (most of them on the i820
and old i810/815 boards), but nothing that's bitten me hard in recent
memory.  I've had a number of desktop machines with Abit and MSI boards
that suffered from outright failures or just horrid instability issues.
For "off brand" boards, I'm trying to stick with Tyan (bugs here too,
but no show stoppers yet) and Supermicro (no problems to report there).

Cheers,