[CentOS] Scripting port scans

Fri Dec 8 04:15:43 UTC 2006
Gavin Carr <gavin at openfusion.com.au>

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 11:06:01AM -0800, Kevan Benson wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 10:39, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to test one specific port on a serie of Ip addresses that I own,
> > I thought about using nmap or telnet, but both return the same value, no
> > matter if the port is open or filtered.
> >
> > Anyone has an idea, before I start scripting to analyse the output of
> > the command?
>
> If you're using nagios for any monitoring, there's a nmap plugin in the
> contrib directory of the nagios-plugins package.  It will notify you if the
> host displays any open ports not pre-defined as open for that host.

And there's a check_tcp plugin for the simpler single-port case.
You can also use the plugins directly even if you're not using
nagios. The nagios-plugins package is available from Dag's rpmforge
repo.

Cheers,
Gavin

--
Gavin Carr
Open Fusion - Open Source Business Solutions [ Linux - Perl - Apache ]