[CentOS] 4.4/64-bit Supermicro/ Nvidia RAID [thanks]

Sat Dec 9 00:59:24 UTC 2006
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

>> Hardware raid is not necessarily faster than software raid. If you are
>> going to do raid5...make sure your card has plenty of cache. However,
>> that may be moot anyway unless you use some filesystem other than
>> ext3...is it a 3ware card? 3ware + RAID5 + ext3 = slow.
>

> Well, I had them ship me a 3ware 9550 card, and yes, am using ext3,
> -there's no onboard battery backup module, so the write cache is
> disabled.  So this would be slow then?  Am using this as a Java
> Development machine.

Disabling write cache will slow you down big time if you have a lot of
I/O. If you don't, it probably does not matter.

> Any suggestions as to the filesystem type that would work best?  I'll
> order a battery backup unit so we can proceed and enable write cache.

Since you are running 64-bit Centos, I guess using the plus kernel and
the XFS filesystem should do you good. XFS has the best write
performance and it sings on the 3ware.