[CentOS] large disk volumes with 64bit kernel

Tue Dec 12 08:50:50 UTC 2006
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 03:01, Daniel Senie wrote:
> The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 549346683 blocks
> The physical size of the device is 12475771 blocks

Your partitioning is messed up, most likely you have a >2TiB partition on a
dos partition table (which simply won't work). You have two options for
devices larger than 2TiB, 1) use gtp as the partition table type (create with
parted) 2) create a lvm pv directly on the device and skip the partition
table all together.

Also, why the installer happily creates these filesystems like this is beyond
me...

> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
> Abort<y>? yes

This fs is most likely lost.

> Is there some way to build single volumes larger than 2TB? It should
> not be a problem with a 64 bit OS

It's not even a problem on 32-bit Centos, just has to be done "the right way".

/Peter

  Peter Kjellström               | E-mail: cap at nsc.liu.se
  National Supercomputer Centre  |
  Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se