[CentOS] New VLC (0.8.6) packages?

Thu Dec 14 15:48:06 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

Michael Watters wrote:
> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>> Anyone know where I could find this package for Centos 4.4 x86_64?
>> I've googled all over and haven't been able to find anything more
>> current the 0.8.4a.
>>
>> I'm not much of a programmer, but if someone could point me at a
>> "packaging  for dummies" perhaps I could have a go at creating a
>> package if one doesn't already exist?
>>
> If you want to build your own the checkinstall program is great.  Just
> compile the source like your normally would and run checkinstall
> instead of make install, it builds an RPM for you.

If I even get that far.  It seems to require a LOT of external libs for
various video/audio codecs that are proving to be a PITA to track down
and then get to play well together, especially if you've already got
other tools like ffmpeg installed.  I guess now I know why the available
versions in various repos are so stale.  :(

Cheers,