[CentOS] Tyan K8SSA (corrected) troubles with CentOS 4.4 i386

Fri Dec 15 13:16:17 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

Feizhou wrote:

>> I had a really hard time with them when trying to troubleshoot issues
>> with the 2895 board and the Highpoint Rocketraid 2224.  Highpoint
>> would email me replies within the hour and returned a few phone
>> calls.  Emails and phone calls to Tyan went unanswered for about 10
>> days at which point I got an extremely unhelpful canned email
>> response (install the latest firmware and try again).  I won't be
>> buying any additional Tyan boards and sent all but 2 of that batch
>> back (I'd deployed 2 as desktops while waiting for answers from Tyan
>> and was too lazy to swap them out).
>>
>> Back in the 1990-1998 era, I used lots and lots of Tyan tomcat boards
>> and was happy with support.  So perhaps they are dropping (or have
>> dropped) the ball.
>
> :(
>
> Where else can one go for solid, high I/O whitebox motherboards that
> support AMD processors?

I'm pretty happy with our latest batch of Supermicro rackmounts.  When I
get to work, I'll pop the lid off one and check the board model #.  With
a 3ware 9550 and 8 x 500gig and 8 x 750gig barracudas, I was able to get
several hundred mb/sec disk I/O according to bonnie++.  I think I posted
the numbers to the list a while back.

Cheers,