[CentOS] bring back sub shells

Sat Dec 16 18:10:34 UTC 2006
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 12/16/06, Jed Reynolds <lists at benrey.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> It took me about 10 years of using unix in general before I learned
> about screen and I sorely regret not having learning about it sooner.
> I've been using screen for about three years now and I just can't do
> without it.

I used screen almost exclusively for several years a long time ago and
was very happy with it.  I still use it when connecting with ssh from
my PDA because it's text-only and the connection is unreliable.  Most
of the time, though, I use VNC or FreeNX so I can dis/re-connect my
entire X desktop; it's just not worth it to mess around on the level
of individual terminals.

There's also something called retty
(http://pasky.or.cz/~pasky/dev/retty/, available from rpmforge) that I
haven't really tried out much yet, that lets you interact with a
process that's running on a different tty device.  That doesn't help
if the first tty has actually hung up, and it seems to be tricky to
get it to work right even on simple processes.