[CentOS] centos 5 beta 2 status

Tue Dec 19 13:30:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 06:59 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Was curious how the beta is coming along.
> Was expecting to see it on monday, looking forward to
> playing over the holidays.

We are making progress .. but not everything builds the way it should.

We are working out the kinks and working out how we are going to
distribute, etc.

We need to make sure we get it right, so we are not rushing the process.

As to when it will be done ... that will be when it's done :P

(it could be a week, it could be longer ... we are doing many new things
with CentOS 5 like Virtual machine installs, Clustering, etc. ... lots
of new things to work out ... then there is the issue of artwork,etc.)

But, believe me, there is major effort by many people to get this done,
including a centralized build system, etc.

Remember, it took 4 months to get the first C3 release out and 3 months
to get the first c4 beta out after the el4 beta2 was released.  But, you
will get a "CentOS" quality product when we release it, beta or not.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes