[CentOS] How to connect to a Windows PC in LAN

Fri Dec 22 07:12:32 UTC 2006
Wei-min Lee <weiminlee at sbcglobal.net>

Samba has worked great for me.  I'm no expert myself, but this is how it
works for me...

Smb.conf:
   workgroup = WORKGROUP  <--Default windows workgroup name
   netbios name = <hostname>
   hosts allow = 192.168.1.  <--Allows access from my subnet
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[installs]
        comment = Install programs
        path = /installs
        valid users = joeschmoe
        read only = No
        writeable = Yes
        write list = @joeschmoe
        create mask = 0775
        directory mask = 0775

Since my private LAN is already firewalled, my centos server has firewall
disabled.

To simplify the connection to Samba, joeschmoe is my windows account and the
passwords are identical between XP and centos.

# smbpasswd joeschmoe to sync the passwords

Also, check /var/log/samba for errors

Wei-min Lee