[CentOS] centos 5 beta 2 status

Sat Dec 23 17:47:16 UTC 2006
Mike Seda <maseda at unc.edu>

Hi All,
Once centos 5 beta 2 is released, what will be the url for downloading it?
Thx,
Mike

Thu Dec 21 14:46:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 01:26 +0900, Shawn wrote:
 > > HI,
 >
 > >  But, you
 > > will get a "CentOS" quality product when we release it, beta or not.
 >
 > I don't want to read too much into what you say so I assume this means
 > that like RHEL5 betas, these betas are not upgradeable to a final
 > release version.

Every effort will be made to make CentOS-5 final be able to be an
upgrade target of CentOS-5 beta.

There may be some small individual issues (ie, a package is include as a
test in the Beta, but upstream provider rolls back to an older package
for release ... this has happened a couple times already in the past).

For those kinds of issues, if you upgrade from Beta to Final, you will
have to manually revert the older packages back ...

We are obviously tied to the released Source Code, so there could be
other issues, but it is one of our goals that the beta can be upgraded
to the final.

(My main workstation is an upgraded CentOS-4.0 beta 1 all the way up at
each release to now CentOS-4.4 :P)

Upgrades from CentOS-3 or 4 to CentOS-5 might be much harder ... and
would most probably not be recommended, but possible.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes