[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 Strange hang on a poweredge 2900.

Tue Dec 26 18:50:25 UTC 2006
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet.com>

Brent Rynn wrote:
> Just out of curriosity are you running 64bit or 32bit version of centos?
>
> The 32 bit version usually gives less problems.
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried booting with the non-smp kernel to see it the same problem
>> occurs?
>>
>> If you have an Intel nic handy you could try to see if that eliminates the
>> problem. I recently had trouble with the sky2 module, but in that case, I
>> would loose all network connectivity until the module was reloaded. I have
>> now had no problems since switching to the Intel nic.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> A.

I'm going to snip the top/bottom posting and try and reply to both.

I'm relatively certain that the CentOS-4.4-i386-bin?of4.iso are the
32-bit versions.  I'm tempted to try the 64 bit version for grins just
to see if the behavior is different.

I will power the machine down and take a stab at it with an Intel NIC.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>
http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown