[CentOS] Configuring 1440 x 900 LCD Monitor

Thu Dec 28 22:42:44 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> That was my first thought but I am dual-booting to Windows XP Pro and
> 1440x900 is available in Windows.  So if it is the case as you suggest,
> then how can it work in Windows?

You're not using the windows device drivers in linux however. Please
avoid comparing apples to chickens.

I have a monitor similar to this (the Viewsonic VX2025wm) and a
graphics card capable of handling the widescreen resolution. The
changes I needed to make to /etc/X11/xorg.conf were as follows:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "ViewSonic"
        ModelName    "ViewSonic VX2025wm"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 82.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 85.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1680x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Note that I'm using an nvidia card with their proprietary drivers, and
have no problems at all with this screen. I'm actually considering
getting a second one and going dual-head with it.

George Orwell