[CentOS] UPS support on CentOS 4.4

Fri Dec 29 04:02:07 UTC 2006
William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>

IIRC APC has free Linux software for their upses as well.

Edward Diener wrote:
> I have an APC Back-UPS XS1500 powering my computer. It may be overkill
> for a single computer but it makes me feel secure.
>
> Gnome power management will not install on CentOS 4.4 because of
> dependency problems.
>
> I have installed the acpupsd daemon and this will protect me against
> power failure but the GUI interface to it, gapcmon, will not install due
> to dependency problems. I know that some will not consider a GUI
> interface important but I like to see what is happening if and when my
> A/C power gets disconnected and my computer is running on UPS battery
> power, and I like to be informed of this when I am online. Without
> gapcmon, or trying to hack my own program, this is not possible with
> CentOS 4.4, although as I said the apcupsd daemon will automatically and
> gracefully shut me down if my A/C power goes off and my UPS gets close
> to running out of backup battery power..
>
> I realize that CentOS 4.4 is based on reliability, and not the latest
> and greatest software out there, but I am wondering what total UPS
> solution actually exists for it, or for RHEL4 which customers of the
> latter have used. I can live with apcupsd, and I realize that with an
> upcoming CentOS 5 there will probably be better compatibility, but I was
> wondering if there is any other total solution for the time being which
> anyone else has used. Thanks !

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099