[CentOS] Re: Apache 2.x and php???

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Feb 1 20:03:35 UTC 2006

rado spake the following on 2/1/2006 11:34 AM:
> hi!
> It seems like everytime I turn around lately, I'm opening up another can
> of worms and I sure don't like what I just read.
>
> this book: Setting Up Lamp (Getting Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP
> Working Together) Sybex/Wiley ISBN 0-7821-4337-7
>
> Page 197 to quote "Which Version of Apache to Use":
> Choosing your Apache version is something that should be taken from the
> correct perspective. Apache 1.3 is proven to be stable and, most
> importantly, compatible with PHP. Apache 2.0 is stable; however, there
> have been multiple problems with PHP compatibility. Making Apache 2.0
> and PHP work together is as predictable as flipping a coin. You will
> never know for sure whether the configuration will work properly and you
> might be faced with in-depth troubleshooting and problem solving trying
> to find out why they will not cooperate.
>>From our standpoint, we really hope that Apache 2.0 and PHP cooperate
> sooner rather than later because the features of Apache 2.0 look very
> promising.
> For this book, we will be going with the tried and true concept and use
> the Apache 1.3 series to avoid any heartache you might have due to
> different configurations and luck of the draw. ....end of quote...
>
> wow...this book is copyrighted(2004) if that makes any difference. I
> sure don't like the idea of going backwards w/Apache, since, although I
> don't use php but w/standard xhtml/css it has shown me no problems at
> all and I just don't like to even think in terms of doing what they
> suggest. But I want to hear from y'all on this. Do y'all find that these
> problems between Apache 2.0 and PHP are really that prominent as they
> have stated? Or, maybe I am wishful thinking here but I am hoping that
> some will reply that they have no problems whatsoever using the 2
> together...instead...just go to this website and there is a good
> tutorial on this subject. lol
>
> thx in advance,
>
> John Rose
If the book was copyrighted in 2004, it could have been written in the mid to
latter part of 2003, and those statements would have been very true THEN.
Now here we are in 2006, and those statements seem laughable. I think it is
more accurate that the author was more confident in his skills with the 1.3
version of apache. People naturally avoid change, if possible.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and