[CentOS] re: vsftp vs shell logins

techlist06

techlist06 at msws.org
Thu Feb 2 03:20:23 UTC 2006

Hi guys:

Thanks for the input and helpful suggestions.  I prefer the solution that
allows a FTP login without a shell.  A couple of you suggested I use
something like
/sbin/nologin
and then FTP would work, but no shell would be allowed

Actually, that is the first thing I tried, as nologin is my default shell
when I add users.  I have to add /bin/bash to get vsftpd to accept the
conection.

So I checked /etc/shells and /sbin/nologin is there.  Apparantly that won't
work.

I have other services/users I might want to use with shells from time to
time so I want the defalut to be "no shell unless I say so", not "get a
shell unless I say no".  Preferably controlled at teh password file.

So, I tried Alin Osan's suggstion of modifying the pam file, and that *did*
work.

Thank you very much Alin.  Much appreciated.  Scott