SV: [CentOS] usernames with capitals

Claus Derlien CD at f-f.dk
Thu Feb 2 08:46:08 UTC 2006

--NoDisclaim--

I cant use an editor to mass update and change usernames as this  is a part of an automatic useradd routine
written in an ancient legacy application which calls useradd and usermod, we have been using this software for more than 15 years, so its hard for me to argue for a rewrite, so im forced to bend the OS instead

it isnt a problem on redhat 8.0, so somewhere in the patches for shadow utils. there must be a change to this behaviour..
up until now i have created the useradds with lower case and manually converted them to upper case

I am aware that it is a no no to use upper case usernames, but we have been doing it for years without problems so...

thanks for the answers so far

best regards

claus derlien