[CentOS] ProLiant DL3n0 EMT64 - x86_64 or i686

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:36:34 UTC 2006

On 02/02/06, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Do, den 02.02.2006 schrieb Will McDonald um 18:01:
>
> > I'll be building a couple of DL360 G4p & DL380 G4 boxes soon and > >
> > So, question is, do I stick CentOS i386 or x86_64 on them?
>
> For the event to get more RAM some time in future, I would go with
> x86_64. What do these hosts run? I expect them to be servers and not
> workstations with desktop users. I then vote for x86_64, runs pretty
> well for me with CentOS 4. Especially encryption tasks profit from the
> 64bit, like HTTPS or other TLS connections.

I'm not 100% sure of their workload, there's some Java/Tomcat/Jakarta,
Postgres and Apache. I imagine it'll be app/db on the larger box and
the 2 smaller systems being app/webservers. I need to verify this.
Given the Java part of the equation their memory requirements are
bound to go up. :)

For all the Java cruft required I was planning on sticking with
packaged installs from Jpackage so I should probably check what they
have available.

Will.