[OT] Re: [CentOS] Video card

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Fri Feb 3 13:46:20 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 08:28 -0500, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> I say "damn the torpedoes" and get yourself an Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
> card.  8-)

I'm replacing an NVidia 6800GT 8x AGP w/256MB of DDR3.

Its a good card.

But I'm tired of mucking with their proprietary drivers all the time.
Especially since it is unstable at 8x on my MB, so every time I evaluate
a new distro, and every time a new kernel patch is issued, I have to
mess with making sure that the kernel headers are installed and the
nvidia package is unpacked and knows where the kernel headers are, and
go into one of the c files in their glue layer and edit it to force 4x
and then manually compile and install (after agreeing, yet again, to
their license agreement).  All for the privilege of getting working 3D
on NVidia's card.

The Radeon 9100 is an old card with only a fraction of the power of the
6800 but I'm already loving it. There are some things that money just
can't buy. :-)

-Steve