[CentOS] Recommendations for securing a webserver

Benjamin Smith

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Sat Feb 4 03:11:48 UTC 2006

Hello,

We're migrating a webserver from RedHat 7.x to CentOS 4.2. In the process,
we'd like to improve security.

We're currently planning on making sure SELinux is enabled, mounting the /tmp
partition noexec, and running PHP in safe mode, hide_errors on,
register_globals off by default.

vsftpd is set to chroot logins.

I've seen Apache run inside a chroot jail, but that was always very
hassle-prone, and ironically, when security updates came out, they weren't
applied within the chroot jail, (eg, installed via yum) making it more likely
to get compromised! Is there an easier/better way to do this? Can you
mix/match chroot'ed websites with those that aren't, without running a wholy
separate webserver daemon?

What other actions would the knowledgeable crowd here suggest?

-Ben
- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978