[CentOS] I appear to be attacking others

ryan ryanag at zoominternet.net
Sun Feb 5 20:22:53 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 February 2006 10:10 am, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Where practical, I also agree with this statement.  That really is the
> only way to be sure.  Though you also have to sit down and consider how
> the naughty people compromised your machine in the first place and make
> sure that vulnerability is fixed on the fresh install....or you'll just
> be doing this again in a few days.

In the case that you can not figure it out, here are some very easy to use
tools to help lock down your system:

http://www.bastille-linux.org/
Bastille will walk you through the basic steps of locking down your system.

http://www.fs-security.com/
If you aren't real firewall or iptables savvy, firestarter make is easy to set
up a very secure firewall.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-tcpwrappers-access.html
TCP Wrappers can be used in conjunction with firewall rules.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/chkrootkit/
chkrootkit will check for signs of a rootkit.