[CentOS] How to add System V Filesystem to Centos?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Feb 7 01:15:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 17:45 -0700, Mace Eliason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a project where I have to move some parts files from an
> old Unix server. I have tared the files to floppy disc, but I can't
> mount them.
> <snip>

> System V filesystem <snip>

> Then I should be able to use
>
> # mount -t sysv /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>
> <snip>

> Thanks
>
> Scandog
> <snip>

I can't answer your question, but I would like to suggest an alternative
that might be less work. Use cpio to make on output file and compress it
onto floppy using the compress command, which I have checked also exists
on CentOS (I *presume that your old UNIX doesn't have {b,g}zip. I see a
reference also to pack, but it seems to be only man pages. Both of these
compressions programs are very old and should be on your system.

Regardless, fewer floppies will be needed, no kernel recomp or such and
all your risk is some minor attribute/time-stamp issues at worst.

Take a look at the man pages for cpio. You can also use tar for this,
although I really prefer cpio and always have.

HTH
Bill