[CentOS] Re: Some 3Ware questions

Ugo Bellavance

ugob at camo-route.com
Wed Feb 8 17:42:55 UTC 2006

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
>> When initializing a raid 1, the controller wipes out all
>> data according to the manuals. Every now and then you hear
>> from people that say that the controller copies everything
>> from disk1 to disk2 and if your IDE controller sector
>> mapping matches what the 3ware controller does, you can
>> keep your data in tact.
>
> Actually, for RAID-1, 3Ware does _not_ using additional
> blocking/organization, and does a direct mirror.  I.e., the
> disks _can_ be used "normally."

So, does that mean that one can install an OS on one drive, connected to
the MB's IDE controller, then when the 3ware arrives, just connect the 2
drives to the 3ware and tell the 3ware to use disk 0's data, mirror it
over to disk1 and make a RAID 1 out of that?

Regards,

--
Ugo

irrelevant parts in your replies.