[CentOS] Entry server hardware

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Feb 12 16:34:26 UTC 2006

Isreal Varela wrote:

> I always thought hardware RAID was the way to go, Seems cleaner to me.
> Just used to doing it that way in the Microsoft world I guess.

Welcome to the club.  I used to feel the same way, mainly based on
software RAID experiences I had back in the Redhat 6.2 era.

I posted to the list a few months ago and got some very interesting (and
conflicting) answers.  On the balance, I decided that for my needs,
software RAID is probably best.

Though it does depend upon your exact situation, I suppose.  E.g., while
supported, I think RAID 5 has performance isssues under pretty much any
software RAID implementation. (And I'm sure someone will correct me if I
am in error. ;-)

I have several machines with a Dell (LSI) ide RAID controller that LSI
just decided not to port from kernel 2.4 to 2.6.  Although it has now
been ported by the community, it has never really regained its status a
first class citizen.  It's possible to make it work, but every kernel
upgrade breaks it again.  My plan is to be rid of all of these
"unsupported" cards by next October and run software RAID on all my
machines.

-Steve