[CentOS] How can I disable sound?

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 00:30:12 UTC 2006

On 13/02/06, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> I usually don't setup any GUI on my Linux systems. Yesterday I installed
> with X and Gnome on a spare system for some testing and hit a problem.
> Right after login the system freezes. The system froze already earlier
> when I opted to test the sound card on the Welcome screen and when I login
> with the alternative login choice xterm and shut down it freezes when
> "saving mixer settings". So, I suspect there's some problem with the
> onboard sound or with the driver that gets used from X.
> How's the best way to cope with this? I don't really need sound, how to
> disable (short of disabling it on the mainboard)?

You could try hacking around in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf ? Obviously make
a backup copy first. :)

Have a look at the output from...

# grep -r snd /etc/*

See if that helps you track down where it's being started from.

Is sndconfig enabled in the various /etc/rc.N directories?

# chkconfig --list | grep -i snd

Have you also tried setting the runlevel to 3 and running startx
manually to see if the problem still occurs there?

Will.