[CentOS] Help with disk server stability issues

Tue Feb 14 13:10:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 13:54 +0100, Peter Kjellström wrote:
> On Monday 13 February 2006 22:44, Andrew Zahn wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am looking for advice on how to cure a constantly-crashing NFS server
> > which crashes every few hours, or at least, every few days. The kernel
> > log file (below) points toward NFS as a likely cause.
> >
> > The system disk is a 3ware 8000 series RAID1 mirror. The data disk is
> > using a 3Ware 9000 controller to produce two RAID1 devices; these are
> > then striped (RAID0) in software to form a RAID 10 device.  We're using
> > a 2.6 kernel, xfs filesystem, and NFS3/UDP.
> >
> > We're running CentOS 4.2 with a 2.6.9-22.0.1.106 kernel.  This kernel
> > has xfs extensions, and we're running the xfs filesystem for /home
>
> One thing to consider is that the xfs module in current centosplus kernels is
> the same as kernel.org 2.6.9, that is, ancient. I never got 2.6.9 xfs stable
> for non-trivial loads and configurations.
>
> /Peter

You might consider trying the main line 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL (or
2.6.9-22.0.1.EL) kernel and the kernel-module for xfs in our testing
repo (if the only reason you are using the centosplus kernel is xfs).

This xfs code is from SGI and is a newer than the code in the 2.6.9
kernel.

When CentOS-4.3 is released, the new modules will be released in for the
centosplus kernel and there will be modules to run xfs on the main line
kernels as well.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes