[CentOS] FreeNX documentation and other miscellanea

sophana sophana at zizi.ath.cx
Tue Feb 14 14:25:12 UTC 2006

maybe you should bypass freenx, and use nxagent/nxproxy directly from
the nx package.

I took some time to discover how it works:
near the X client at ipadress <nxagent_ip>, type:

nxagent -R -display nx/nx,link=modem:8 :1

it will listen on port 4008 for nxproxy and listen on port 6001 for
Xwindow connections. the -R option enables rootless mode so that
individual windows will get forwarded transparently.

near the Xserver:
do a xhost+ to disable authentication (or you will have to play with xauth)
set display to your Xserver
nxproxy -S <nxagent_ip>:8
it will connect to the nxagent

then near the nxagent side, set display to <nxagent_ip>:1
lauch an xterm, it will magically appear at flash speed.

note that I succeeded in resuming a lost session
if you kill the nxproxy, nxagent will continue with the session suspended.
To reconnect, you will have to do a kill -1 on the nxagent process
It will then relisten on the port 4008
then you can redo the nxproxy that will reconnect and resume the session
All your windows will reappear magically.

hope this helps
Sophana