[CentOS] SATA RAID Controller Support?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Feb 14 16:09:50 UTC 2006

Quoting Ryan Pitt <ryan at marinocrane.com>:

> Greetings,
> I just got new Dell PowerEdge SC1420 and a 6 channel SATA RAID
> controller card (Adaptec 2610SA from Dell also)

According to Adaptec web site, seems they are selling directly only 4,
8 and 16 ports cards in 2x10SA series (2410SA, 2810SA and 21610SA
respectively).  Your 6-port version is probably OEM card made by
Adaptec exclusively for system integrators.  My guess is that it should
work with standard aacraid device driver (like the rest of the cards in
2x10SA series), if you can get the driver to recognize the card.  When
it says that it can't find any hard drives during installation, click
on the option to manualy load driver, then add aacraid driver to list
of drivers to be loaded.

Looking at kernel source (Centos 4.2, kernel-2.6.9-22.EL), the card
seems to be listed in drivers/scsi/aacraid/linit.c file.  If it doesn't
work for you, then Dell probably used its own PCI ID for the card (you
can check the file and see if PCI ID in line for 2610SA is the same as
the one in your card).  There are also catch-all lines at the end of
the list.