[CentOS] Nmap update checksum failures.

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 15 10:08:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 09:44 +0100, Peter Kjellström wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 22:14, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > Sorry to reply to myself, but ...

> > > All the other's updated fine. I'm going to ribit and do a forced fsck to
> > > make sure I'm not getting victimized by a creeping calamitous failure on
> > > my HD. Then I'll try some manual junk.
> >
> > Ummm... I'd try some manual junk if I had any idea where to start. I did
> > the reboot, fsck, and even tried a yum update while in single user mode.
> > ImageMagick updated ok, but the two files here failed again.
> >
> >    nmap-frontend.i386 2:4.01-1.2.el4.rf
> >    nmap.i386 2:4.01-1.2.el4.rf
> >
> > Since I'm under the aegis of WFM now, if someone could give a starting
> > point for me to follow and resolve, I'd appreciate it and stop pestering
> > you all. I can't figure why only this one should be a problem only for
> > my installation. *sigh*.
>
> FWIW, I see the exact same problem here with all of my centos-4 machines that
> have nmap from rpmforge.net. I consider it a broken rpm package (but havn't
> looked into it yet. I dropped dag a line about it.

Peter, thanks for taking the time. I see several other posts report the
problem now, so apparently the "WorksForMe" poster has a better setup.
Anyway, Johnny Hughes replied (in thread Re: [CentOS] DAG Repository)
that there is a known and on-going problem of this type with that mirror
that is so persistent that Dag made a form for dealing with it. It is
here

          http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#C1

> You can allways update and, for the time, ignore nmap like this:
> yum --exclude=nmap update

Yes, I did that. In resolution of another problem a couple weeks back, I
re-read completely the oft cited YUM documents. Combined with
suggestions like yours above that I had seen on the lists before, that
one stuck in my mind and allowed me to proceed regardless of the one bad
file.

> /Peter
>
> ><snip diag listing I sent>

What I'm thinking now is that there is probably some way to override the
checksum/gpg checking from the command line. If so, and if I can find
out what the real check sum is supposed to be, I could check the file
and install it by turning off the checking (at the command line
hopefully, instead of temp modification of the config file). So a little
reading again of the YUM docs (I hope I don't have to do it so often
that I no longer need to read it! =:-O  ) and effort to get the right
"numbers" and I shiould be able to get it done withb waiting for the
habitually broken mirror folks to habitually fix it habitually
temporarily again.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Bill