READ! [CentOS] mirrorlist.centos.org port 81? (Yumconf changes)

Maciej Żenczykowski

maze at cela.pl
Thu Feb 16 19:15:22 UTC 2006

> Why not - they are the same old mirrors - all that happens is that yum
> gets a lost of local up to date mirrors for the release/repo/arch from the
> mirrorlist server on port 81 - chosen solely so that we can run it on the
> same server
> as normal apache on port 80.
>
> If you have fastestmirror plugin enabld yum will then test the mirrors and
> use the fastest local connection.
>
> The version of yumex that we have at dev.centos.org alsouses the same
> mirrorlist system.

Note that using a non-standard port (81) here is an error - many restrictive
firewalls (or proxies) won't allow such a connection - for example at my Mom's
work (were I'm now) and my Dad's.  Even though it's an outgoing connection.

Setup apache virtual hosting, add a new dns name, and use apache's proxy module
to proxy mirrorlister:80 to localhost:81
otherwise this will break for a lot of people.

Cheers,
MaZe.