[CentOS] raid boot partition size?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Feb 16 21:01:33 UTC 2006

Quoting rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>:

> Hi y'all
> I can't tell you which msg thread it was in but after an install and the
> system hangs...one of the responses was that the boot partition might be
> too large...
>
> Although most of the installs (raid 1) I don't have that problems but I
> have before. I usually make my boot partition 200mb.
>
> my question:
> What size do y'all recomend for the boot partition, 100mb?

If /boot partition starts on the first cylinder, and if your drive
reports 255 heads and 63 sectors per track, this will give you BIOS
addressable range of aprox 8Gb (a little bit less):

255 heads * 63 cylinders * 512 bytes * 1024 cylinders

Anything above it, and your BIOS can't access it.

To answer your original question.  100 MB is more than enough for /boot
if you are periodically cleaning old obsoleted kernels.