[CentOS] CentOS FAQ (was ssh attack)

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Fri Feb 17 15:42:01 UTC 2006

Will McDonald wrote:

>On 17/02/06, Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>Searchable archives may be found at
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=centos&r=1&w=2
>>Also, the list is mirrored as a newsgroup at
>>

>There's also Google site searches which would limit results to stuff
>from the archive...
>
>site:lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/ [search terms]

That is also cool.  Thanks.  But if the aim is to improve the signal to
noise ratio on the list, it should be made as easy and convenient as
possible to search past threads.

I believe that when people post FAQ-like  questions here they are as
likely as not in a crisis situation (as perceived by them, and who are
we to judge?).

I've been in enough "crisis situations" (and posted enough FAQ-like
questions) that I can say with some confidence that making a list
specific search easy and quick to do, and without having to review the
Google search engine syntax, would likely improve the signal to noise ratio.

Though as I have said before, the ratio on this list is already pretty
damn good, in comparison to other lists. ;-)

So, would it be difficult to put a search feature on the official
"CentOS List Archives" page?  I've never done it, so I don't know.

-Steve