[CentOS] CentOS 4.2 hangs at power-on boot

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 21:30:06 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In all of these ACPI type issues, try:
> >
> > 4. If all else fails, try booting with acpi=ht
>
> OK, will do (I was about to try acpi=off but this sounds like a better
> plan).  Thanks.

Except that it didn't work.

With acpi=ht, the boot sequence proceeds past the pciehp module, but
hangs up later, not always at the same place.  With acpi=off, it
consistently hangs during (of all things) starting cups.

However, leaving acpi alone and changing the timeout in grub.conf from
5 to 10 seconds (which I did for another reason -- the monitor wasn't
coming on until the 5 seconds was already past) seems to have cleared
it up.